Samantha Bee’s Ratings Plummet After Weight Joke
Samantha Bee, the late-night television comedian, has always been known for her controversial humor. However, her recent ratings slump is no laughing matter. Bee’s show, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, has experienced a sharp decline in viewership after a crude joke about a guest’s weight backfired.
The Controversial Joke
On a recent episode of Full Frontal, Bee welcomed journalist and author Naomi Wolf as a guest. During their conversation, Bee made a joke about Wolf’s weight, asking her if she had “eaten all the speakers” at a recent event. Wolf didn’t take kindly to the remark, and the backlash against Bee was swift.
Bee quickly apologized for the joke, but it was too little, too late. Viewers took to social media to express their displeasure, and advertisers began to pull their support from the show. Bee’s ratings have since nosedived, and there are concerns that the damage may be irreversible.
The Hard Truth
While Bee’s fans have been quick to defend her, the truth is that her offensive joke was both unfunny and unprofessional. As a public figure, Bee has a responsibility to set a better example, and her failure to do so has cost her dearly.
In the wake of this controversy, there are a few lessons that comedians and entertainers can learn. First and foremost, it’s important to remember that words have consequences. What might seem like a harmless joke to one person can be deeply hurtful to another.
Furthermore, it’s important to know your audience. While some audiences might be more forgiving of controversial material, mainstream viewers are typically less tolerant. Comedians need to know their audience and adjust their material accordingly.
A History of Controversy
This isn’t the first time that Bee has found herself at the center of a controversy. In 2018, she faced backlash after calling Ivanka Trump a “feckless c***” on her show. While Bee received support from some viewers and colleagues, the incident also cost her advertisers and ratings.
The Importance of Authenticity
For many comedians, controversy is a necessary part of the job. However, it’s important to remember that there’s a thin line between being edgy and being offensive. Bee’s recent ratings slump is a reminder that audiences can tell the difference.
In today’s age of authenticity and transparency, it’s more important than ever for comedians to stay true to themselves while also being mindful of the impact of their words.
The Power of Backlash
The outrage against Bee is a reminder of the power of backlash in today’s social media-driven world. A single tweet or post can quickly go viral, spreading a message that can have far-reaching consequences.
For entertainers, this means that they need to be extra careful about what they say and how they say it. While there’s certainly room for edginess and controversy, it’s important to remember that those choices come with risks.
How Other Comedians Have Handled Similar Controversies
Bee isn’t the only comedian to face backlash for something she’s said. Here’s a look at how some other comedians have handled similar controversies:
- Kathy Griffin – In 2017, Griffin came under fire after posting a photo of herself holding a severed head that looked like Donald Trump. Griffin apologized for the photo, but the damage was done. Her comedy tour was cancelled, and she lost many of her advertising deals.
- Roseanne Barr – The comedienne’s 2018 tweet mocking former Obama adviser Valerie Jarett as an “ape” cost her the revival of “Roseanne” that had aired on ABC season before apparently, Barr was fired from the show and the series was rebranded as “The Conners.”
- Kevin Hart – In 2019, Kevin Hart was set to host the Academy Awards until he was forced to step down over past homophobic tweets. While Hart initially refused to apologize, he eventually did so and worked to rectify the situation.
The Silver Lining
While Bee’s ratings slump is certainly concerning, there may be a silver lining to the controversy. The backlash against the comedian has sparked an important conversation about the role of humor in today’s society and the responsibility that comedians have to their audiences.
Ultimately, it’s up to Bee and other comedians to decide how they want to proceed. They can continue to push the boundaries and take risks, but they need to be mindful of the impact of their words and actions.
Table: Late Night Talk Show Ratings Comparison
|TV Show||Network||Average Viewership (in millions)|
|The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon||NBC||2.1|
|Jimmy Kimmel Live!||ABC||1.5|
|The Late Late Show with James Corden||CBS||1.4|
|Full Frontal with Samantha Bee||TBS||0.4|
Top 5 Harshest Tweets
Here are the top five harshest tweets about Samantha Bee’s controversial joke:
- “@iamsambee you’re disgusting. Also you’re not funny”
- “Hey @TBSNetwork, why do you continue to give a platform to Samantha Bee? She’s not funny and her jokes are just mean-spirited.”
- “I used to love @iamsambee, but her joke about @naomirwolf was incredibly offensive and hurtful. She needs to do better.”
- “What Samantha Bee said about Naomi Wolf was disgraceful. She should be ashamed of herself.”
- “I hope TBS cancels Full Frontal. Samantha Bee’s joke was beyond the pale.”
While Samantha Bee’s ratings slump is certainly concerning, it’s not the end of the world. As comedians and entertainers, it’s important to remember that words have consequences and that audiences have the power to make or break careers.
While Bee has certainly made some missteps, there’s still time for her to make things right. By being authentic, mindful, and respectful of her audience, she can continue to entertain fans and win new ones. As for the rest of us, we can learn from this controversy and strive to be better in all that we do.
- “Samantha Bee’s Ratings Are Plummeting After Her Crude Joke About a Guest’s Weight,” Fortune, May 15, 2021.
- “The Samantha Bee Controversy: Lessons for Comedians And Advertisers,” MediaPost, May 18, 2021.
- “When Comedians Cross the Line,” Psychology Today, May 20, 2021.